[TriLUG] Who runs Red Hat and KDE

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Sat May 24 11:02:01 EDT 2003

On Saturday 24 May 2003 02:282am, karl thiele wrote:
> Who runs KDE with Red Hat?

Me. Sometimes.

> Do you like the support you get for KDE in the RH distributions?

Uhhh... what do you mean?

This month someone discovered a vulnerability in KDE... and RedHat
promptly released a patched KDE right away.

> How do you keep current with KDE updates and/or new releases?

Like with any other distro. If you want a KDE patched against all known
bugs, use the current distro... and use the provided KDE.

If you want the latest KDE, compile it yourself, get it from some guy
who has compiled it for your RedHat or keep an eye for the development
versions of RedHat, as they will contain the latest KDE.

This is like other distros. For example, in Mandrake it's the same.

> I mostly run RH for much of my work and I do not like the way RH
> supports KDE and vice versa.

What is your gripe with RedHat? RedHat offers a nice and polished
KDE.RedHat offers the BlueCurve theme. RedHat re-arranges the menu so
it makes more sense for a user (à la Debian and Mandrake). RedHat
offers promtly patched versions of KDE when a bug is found.

And all this is GPL, just like KDE.

> I also am annoyed there is no rpm for RH distributions at KDE.

I'm mildly dissatisfied that there's no KDE-3.1.2 for neither RedHat nor
Mandrake nor Debian Slink nor...

> I migrated from FVWM to kde upon kde's first
> beta,

Me too.

> so I am long in the tooth as a user. konstruct is fairly easy
> to use to build from src, but I am still annoyed I just can not get
> an rpm and install and keep on going. I have on occassion found some
> who has built an RPM, but those have not always worked.... Just want
> to get feel if anyone else feels the way I do. If there is interest I
> will build, test and support (for a while anyway), or if someone
> knows where "good" RH RPMS exist, I certainly would appreciate a
> URL....

Being both KDE and RedHat open source software, you have several paths
of action:

- Do It Yourself (tm)
- Use Someone Else's previous work (check URL that surely you will get
here)
- Ask someone to do it for you (in exchage of pizza, MountainDew,
money).

For example:
- For Quanta+ 3.0 , on RedHat 7.3 and Mandrake 9.0 and built my own
rpms.

- For qvwm I went the 2nd option, and used the rpms from PLF.

- For KDE 3.,1 on Mandarke, I did chose the 3rd option --> Mandrake
Club.

If you build rpms for RedHat / found them... let us all know about it.

Salut,
Sinner
--
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/     Linux User # 89976
Testing Mandrake 9.1 -    Linux Machine # 38068