[TriLUG] Who runs Red Hat and KDE

karl thiele karlthiele at nc.rr.com
Sat May 24 11:42:48 EDT 2003

Sinner from the Prairy wrote:

>On Saturday 24 May 2003 02:282am, karl thiele wrote:
>

>>Who runs KDE with Red Hat?
>>

>Me. Sometimes.
>

>>Do you like the support you get for KDE in the RH distributions?
>>

>Uhhh... what do you mean?
>
>This month someone discovered a vulnerability in KDE... and RedHat
>promptly released a patched KDE right away.

Well RH provides updates to what they feel ought to belong in KDE, if
you compare what installs from source from kde and what comes from RH,
RH leaves out features. RH does not seem compelled to keep up with kde
releases.

Ken Whal just pointed me to http://kde-redhat.sourceforge.net/ . Seems
there are others who want a full kde on RH.

>>How do you keep current with KDE updates and/or new releases?
>>

>Like with any other distro. If you want a KDE patched against all known
>bugs, use the current distro... and use the provided KDE.
>
>If you want the latest KDE, compile it yourself, get it from some guy
>who has compiled it for your RedHat or keep an eye for the development
>versions of RedHat, as they will contain the latest KDE.

I have always gone and compiled it my self the konstruct package makes
this rather easy it  runs and will down load everything build and
install it just by typing cd meta/kde; make install.  Very easy except
that it does not do a good job of picking a mirror to down load from,
you can download (gftp) sources yourself (i do) into a cache and
konstruct will use those.

opps got to run finish my response later...