[TriLUG] Who runs Red Hat and KDE

Brent Fox bfox at linuxheadquarters.com
Sun May 25 09:26:44 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-05-24 at 11:42, karl thiele wrote:

> Sinner from the Prairy wrote:
> > On Saturday 24 May 2003 02:282am, karl thiele wrote:
> >
> > > Who runs KDE with Red Hat?
> > >

> > Me. Sometimes.
> >

> > > Do you like the support you get for KDE in the RH distributions?
> > >

> > Uhhh... what do you mean?
> >
> > This month someone discovered a vulnerability in KDE... and RedHat
> > promptly released a patched KDE right away.
> Well RH provides updates to what they feel ought to belong in KDE, if
> you compare what installs from source from kde and what comes from RH,
> RH leaves out features. RH does not seem compelled to keep up with kde
> releases.

For what it's worth, Red Hat treats Gnome the same way.  Play with Gnome
out of CVS and then look at Red Hat's default Gnome setup...they look
totally different.  Also, Red Hat does not release new RPMs every time a
new version of Gnome or KDE comes out.  Rather, we wait until the next
release to provide the new KDE and Gnome releases.  Yet somehow many
people interpret this as favoring Gnome and giving KDE "the shaft".  The
mind boggles.

Cheers,
   Brent