[TriLUG] Who runs Red Hat and KDE

Chris Hedemark chrish at trilug.org
Sat May 24 11:15:00 EDT 2003

On Saturday, May 24, 2003, at 02:28 AM, karl thiele wrote:

> Who runs KDE with Red Hat?
> Do you like the support you get for KDE in the RH distributions?

No.  KDE has always gotten the shaft from Red Hat.  IIRC, this was a
major reason for the genesis of Mandrake originally.

> How do you keep current with KDE updates and/or new releases?

OS X: fink.  Works great.  (thanks, Ben!)
OpenBSD: cd /usr/ports/x11/kde && make install
Debian: I haven't tried but it's probably as easy as "apt get install
kde"

On OpenBSD I've downloaded all of the source and compiled everything
but man did that take forever.  If you look around some nice people
have built packages for various popular platforms.

> I mostly run RH for much of my work and I do not like the way RH
> supports KDE and vice versa.

You are not alone.

> I also am annoyed there is no rpm for RH distributions at KDE.

I think the hidden message there is that if you value KDE, pick a
distro that doesn't mangle it.

> I migrated from FVWM to kde upon kde's first beta, so I am long in the
> tooth as a user. konstruct is fairly easy to use to build from src,
> but I am still annoyed I just can not get an rpm and install and keep
> on going. I have on occassion found some who has built an RPM, but
> those have not always worked.... Just want to get feel if anyone else
> feels the way I do. If there is interest I will build, test and
> support (for a while anyway), or if someone knows where "good" RH RPMS
> exist, I certainly would appreciate a URL....

I don't know if this works anymore, but you might try getting the
SRPM's from Mandrake and building binary RPM's on your RH box.  You
might have to tweak the spec files a bit.

You've given me a good reason to do something I've been putting off.
My last RH box has been idle for months.  The bastardized desktop
they've been pushing has really put me off.  I think I'll put Mandrake
on there today.

--

Chris Hedemark
UNIX / Linux / BSD / Mac OS X / Windows consulting available.  No job