[TriLUG] Who runs Red Hat and KDE

karl thiele karlthiele at nc.rr.com
Sun May 25 23:47:10 EDT 2003

Kevin Sonney wrote:

>On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 09:53:44PM -0400, karl thiele spoke thusly:
>

>>Some have said that about Gnome in this thread. I would like RH to
>>document the changes it makes.
>>

>It's right there in the SRPMs. Knock yourself out. Some of those
>patches and fixes even go to the upstream maintainers, and get
>accepted into the base packages. Not all, since not all the patches
>we've done are applicable to things outside the Red Hat distributions,
>but some.
>
>It's all open source, and the code is there. Now, if you want a line by
>line document explaining every modification we made to every package,
>you're asking for an unreasonable amount of information. But if you
>want to know what Red Hat did to a particular package, feel the power
>and use the Source!

No kidding. I been using UNIX src for probably longer than you have been
alive and linux before RH even started. The thing is I do not want to
knock myself out.

>>I can vouch for the kernel changes, because we tried to support many
>>distros we found it too much work/confusion and supported only from
>>kernel.org, we found that common with other third party linux software,
>>especially if it had any relation to how the kernel worked. So we
>>developed from kernel.org and ported for testing and reported errata.
>>I would like RH to document it's kernel changes too.
>>

>Again, it's all in the SRPM. A change like NPTL in the kernel isn't
>just one change, but hundreds of changes across the kernel. If you
>want to see what we did, read the SRPM. It's all there. Maybe it's not
>as well written or documented as the manuals, but it's there.

Well you can not see the forest for the leaves.  But monitoring the
mailing list is tedious. Release note type documentation for packages
would be helpful.  RH does what it can.

>We could take the time to document all the changes we make and
>publish them, And that would take a lot of time and effort. And I
>expect you'd rather we made a better distro, and focus on the things
>that really matter - stability, supportability, and a great
>distribution. So that's what we do (well, what Jeremy, msw, Brent and
>a whole host of others do. I'm just a Sales Engineer *grin*).
>
>And I'm happy with that, nd most of my customers are happy with
>that. We can't make everyone happy all the time, But then again, not
>everyone needs what Red Hat has to offer. And maybe you don't. That's
>part of what Linux is all5~ about - freedom to choose. As long as you
>make the right choice to meet your needs, it all works out.

The problem is you do not get my point at all, some comments are so
defensive. They do not need to be. I am glad RH  customers are happy. I
did not say I was unhappy. Why are you so worried that someone might
start a simple thread asking a few questions. Having a rather straight
forward concern. I just made a simple request. It seems some people (it
seems like some are RH employees) just want to beat my request to a pulp
and most of these comments are not constructive and really hijacked the
thread. All I have done is respond to replys. I think if some makes a
reply to your post and asks a question it is polite to respond. Others
have supplied some very useful and helpful information, just trying to
leverage what others have done. That is what this LUG community is all
about, I hope.

Since you are a  sales engineer, what is up with rawhide? I know where
the downloads are but I was unable to find much about rawhide at the RH
web site. Another side question. What % of your customers run KDE? A
ball park answer, opinion would be fine.

So, do you run RH and KDE?  If you do when/how do you upgrade KDE?   I
was trying to take a rather crude poll.

-karl