[TriLUG] Who runs Red Hat and KDE

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Sun May 25 23:08:16 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-05-25 at 21:53, karl thiele wrote:
> Brent Fox wrote:
>

> >Umm...actually, the upgrades for Red Hat Linux are free to anyone with
> >an Internet connection.  Always have been.  And as Jeremy said, new
> >packages are available via Rawhide but they have not been tested to the
> >same degree as the packages in official releases.
> >
> I know they are free.  I can go to the rawhide download directories but
> I see no other info at the RH site. Does not seem like there is much
> activity with it. But I have been on the bleeding edge before, i would
> just assume pass on that.

Not sure why you think there's not "much activity" with rawhide.  It
contains snapshots of the packages that Red Hat is working on and is
updated frequently, sometimes daily.  Rawhide evolves into the beta
versions of Red Hat Linux which then evolves into a release.  If you're
interested in learning more/being part of that process, join the mailing
list for the public beta when the next one comes out (probably in the
next couple of months, based on past release cycles, but these things
are never announced).

There's no marketing for rawhide, only an FTP site.  If you're looking
for marketing materials about it, you're asking the wrong question.  But
you can still "run" rawhide by updating your system against it -- but
when it breaks you get to keep all the pieces!

Also -- if you are not a person to be on the "bleeding edge," then why
are you so concerned about keeping up to date with the latest and
greatest KDE packages?  As others have said, most Red Hat users, like
me, don't want or need the latest greatest packages.  We'd prefer to
have something that's modern and recent, but reasonably stable.  You
can't have it both ways -- brand-new software is always buggy!

--Jeremy

P.S.  Welcome to the list, and I hope to meet you at the next meeting!
June 12th we'll be showing the REVOLUTION OS documentary.