[TriLUG] Who runs Red Hat and KDE

Kevin Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Sun May 25 21:39:13 EDT 2003

On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 09:53:44PM -0400, karl thiele spoke thusly:
> Some have said that about Gnome in this thread. I would like RH to
> document the changes it makes.

It's right there in the SRPMs. Knock yourself out. Some of those
patches and fixes even go to the upstream maintainers, and get
accepted into the base packages. Not all, since not all the patches
we've done are applicable to things outside the Red Hat distributions,
but some.

It's all open source, and the code is there. Now, if you want a line by
line document explaining every modification we made to every package,
you're asking for an unreasonable amount of information. But if you
want to know what Red Hat did to a particular package, feel the power
and use the Source!

> I can vouch for the kernel changes, because we tried to support many
> distros we found it too much work/confusion and supported only from
> kernel.org, we found that common with other third party linux software,
> especially if it had any relation to how the kernel worked. So we
> developed from kernel.org and ported for testing and reported errata.
> I would like RH to document it's kernel changes too.

Again, it's all in the SRPM. A change like NPTL in the kernel isn't
just one change, but hundreds of changes across the kernel. If you
want to see what we did, read the SRPM. It's all there. Maybe it's not
as well written or documented as the manuals, but it's there.

We could take the time to document all the changes we make and
publish them, And that would take a lot of time and effort. And I
expect you'd rather we made a better distro, and focus on the things
that really matter - stability, supportability, and a great
distribution. So that's what we do (well, what Jeremy, msw, Brent and
a whole host of others do. I'm just a Sales Engineer *grin*).

And I'm happy with that, nd most of my customers are happy with
that. We can't make everyone happy all the time, But then again, not
everyone needs what Red Hat has to offer. And maybe you don't. That's
part of what Linux is all5~ about - freedom to choose. As long as you
make the right choice to meet your needs, it all works out.

--
--         Kevin Sonney         --