[TriLUG] Who runs Red Hat and KDE

Ken Wahl ken at kenwahl.org
Sat May 24 13:54:47 EDT 2003

On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 11:34:23AM -0400, karl thiele wrote:

> Ken Wahl wrote:
>
> >On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 02:28:56AM -0400, karl thiele wrote:
> >

> >I do but I run KDE apps out of gnome.
> >
> >Yes.
> >
> >Synaptic/apt (uses freshrpms.net as resource)
> >
> Have not heard of this.

The debian apt package tool has been modified for rpms by some good
folks whose names I wish I knew to give them credit.

_From  http://shrike.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=393

"RPM Information for apt-0.5.5cnc5-fr2.src.rpm

A port of Debian's apt tools for RPM based distributions, or at least
originally for Conectiva and now Red Hat Linux. It provides the apt-get
utility that provides a simpler, safer way to install and upgrade
packages.  APT features complete installation ordering, multiple source
capability and several other unique features."

Synaptic is a graphical frontend to apt..

_From  http://shrike.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=404

"RPM Information for synaptic-0.36.1-fr1.src.rpm

Synaptic (previously known as raptor) is a graphical package management
program for apt. It provides the same features as the apt-get command
line utility with a GUI front-end based on Gtk+"

The freshrpms apt rpm configures apt to point to the freshrpms server as
a source for rpms.  Their server has their own rpms and redhat update
rpms.  So by using synaptic/apt you can keep on top of updates for
official redhat rpms and unofficial freshrpms rpms.

I've been using it exclusively to update both redhat 8 and later 9 since
March without any problems and in my experience it beats the hell out of
using up2date on a RHN "demo" account.  The freshrpms server is very
fast.

The advantage of using apt is that dependencies are automatically
resolved.

For Redhat 8 see
http://psyche.freshrpms.net

For Redhat 9 see