[TriLUG] Who runs Red Hat and KDE

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Sat May 24 18:45:45 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-05-24 at 13:54, Ken Wahl wrote:

> The debian apt package tool has been modified for rpms by some good
> folks whose names I wish I knew to give them credit.
>
> _From  http://shrike.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=393
>
> "RPM Information for apt-0.5.5cnc5-fr2.src.rpm

> A port of Debian's apt tools for RPM based distributions, or at least
> originally for Conectiva and now Red Hat Linux. It provides the apt-get
> utility that provides a simpler, safer way to install and upgrade
> packages.  APT features complete installation ordering, multiple source
> capability and several other unique features."

To answer the question of who gets credit for the RPM port of Apt, the
answer is given about: Conectiva, a company and Linux distribution
that's popular in Brazil.  Their web site is www.conectiva.com.br,
though unless you read Portuguese that might not help you too much.
They're part of the "UnitedLinux" consortium.  Conectiva is an RPM-based
distro (hence the need for apt/rpm) and I think was originally a Red Hat
fork, but I'm not sure about that.

> I've been using it exclusively to update both redhat 8 and later 9 since
> March without any problems and in my experience it beats the hell out of
> using up2date on a RHN "demo" account.  The freshrpms server is very
> fast.
>
> The advantage of using apt is that dependencies are automatically
> resolved.
>
> For Redhat 8 see
> http://psyche.freshrpms.net
>
> For Redhat 9 see
> http://shrike.freshrpms.net

You can also point apt/rpm at the mirrors on the TriLUG server, which
are usually faster than freshrpms, since freshrpms is mirrored in
California.

See http://members.trilug.org/services_faq/

We use apt for rpm on the TriLUG servers, and I use it on all of my
computers at home and work, except for one computer that has a paid for
RHN entitlement (therefore it uses up2date).

HTH,

Jeremy