[TriLUG] Who runs Red Hat and KDE

karl thiele karlthiele at nc.rr.com
Sun May 25 00:07:26 EDT 2003

Ken Wahl wrote:

>On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 11:34:23AM -0400, karl thiele wrote:
>

>>Ken Wahl wrote:
>>

>>>On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 02:28:56AM -0400, karl thiele wrote:
>>>

>>>I do but I run KDE apps out of gnome.
>>>
>>>Yes.
>>>
>>>Synaptic/apt (uses freshrpms.net as resource)
>>>

>>Have not heard of this.
>>

>The debian apt package tool has been modified for rpms by some good
>folks whose names I wish I knew to give them credit.
>
>_From  http://shrike.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=393
>
>"RPM Information for apt-0.5.5cnc5-fr2.src.rpm

>A port of Debian's apt tools for RPM based distributions, or at least
>originally for Conectiva and now Red Hat Linux. It provides the apt-get
>utility that provides a simpler, safer way to install and upgrade
>packages.  APT features complete installation ordering, multiple source
>capability and several other unique features."
>
>Synaptic is a graphical frontend to apt..
>
>_From  http://shrike.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=404
>
>"RPM Information for synaptic-0.36.1-fr1.src.rpm

>Synaptic (previously known as raptor) is a graphical package management
>program for apt. It provides the same features as the apt-get command
>line utility with a GUI front-end based on Gtk+"
>
>The freshrpms apt rpm configures apt to point to the freshrpms server as
>a source for rpms.  Their server has their own rpms and redhat update
>rpms.  So by using synaptic/apt you can keep on top of updates for
>official redhat rpms and unofficial freshrpms rpms.
>
>I've been using it exclusively to update both redhat 8 and later 9 since
>March without any problems and in my experience it beats the hell out of
>using up2date on a RHN "demo" account.  The freshrpms server is very
>fast.
>
>The advantage of using apt is that dependencies are automatically
>resolved.

Just took a stroll to take a look at that piece of technology, seems
very good. I wandered over to look at the GARarchitecture for building
projects, which konstruct uses. http://www.lnx-bbc.org/garchitecture.html.

These seem close to same technology.  this evening I used gftp and
konstruct to build 3.1.2. running it at the moment. What I like with apt
is that you can configure easily where your download sources are kept.

I am not confident of the offical RH KDE rpms and have yet to check out
freshrpms except look over thier web pages. I also would like to know
what "added value" RH does beside place thier logos into KDE and leave
off apps in the start menus.

But from small number of the reponces so far, maybe it is because of the
holiday weekend, it does not seem folks run KDE on RH much. It seems
many of the folks newer to linux do not retrieve, build and install
except thru the distribution they bought. I wonder what the split is
between GNOME and KDE for RH users?

till next time...