[TriLUG] Who runs Red Hat Linux and KDE

karl thiele karlthiele at nc.rr.com
Sat May 24 17:07:36 EDT 2003

I appreciate the responces. Ok my beef with KDE on Red Hat is not the
appeareance but I am not sure I like how it is intergrated. I would
prefer the binaries not to be under /usr/bin. My default kde came up
with several apps missing.  I will go back and verify this so I am
talking very accurately (this may take a week, software is no longer my
occupation, layoffs.. ) The first two apps kmenuedit and appfinder are
on the system but not a menu item.  They were only earilier releases ( I
am on RH 8.0).

Matt Wilson wrote:

>On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 11:15:00AM -0400, Chris Hedemark wrote:
>

>>No.  KDE has always gotten the shaft from Red Hat.  IIRC, this was a
>>major reason for the genesis of Mandrake originally.
>>

>No, KDE would be getting the shaft if we didn't ship it at all.
>Instead we go to a considerable amount of trouble to integrate it as a
>desktop for Red Hat Linux.  We spend a fair amount of time on the
>packages, and we work on standards with the KDE people so that desktop
>environments under Linux can inter-operate.

Not sure of the problems of inter-operation, but I know a fair amount of
work and cooperation have gone on between Gnome and KDE. It is hard to
appreciate since I do not know the problems.

>>>I also am annoyed there is no rpm for RH distributions at KDE.
>>>

>>I think the hidden message there is that if you value KDE, pick a
>>distro that doesn't mangle it.
>>

>ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/3.1.2/RedHat
>
>No hidden message here.  It's difficult to support any system with
>major components that are included in the operating system replaced by
>third party packages.  Still, we actually built these 3.1.2 packages
>at Red Hat for users that want them.

Well well that is nice but I the actual url is
ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/3.1.2/RedHat/9/
I am running RH 8 so I am sure of the ramifications of installing over
top of kde. RH gives not choice except to step on the previous incantation.

I want to be able to install, test to my satisfaction and then switch
over. A "step on" is rude. I know RH has come a long way (I still have
copy of the first CD RH cut, that was a big day for me) but I still want
to control my upgrade. Look if you can do it with the kernel, why not
the application level? I guess I would download the src from the above
and build it on RH 8. But does RH build with konstruct (nice tool)?

>>You've given me a good reason to do something I've been putting off.
>>My last RH box has been idle for months.  The bastardized desktop
>>they've been pushing has really put me off.  I think I'll put Mandrake
>>on there today.
>>

>It's always strange to us that Red Hat receives such hostility about
>customizing the desktop to have a unique look and feel that many of
>our users like.  We knew that it would not please everyone, so we made
>sure that it's possible to customize your KDE or GNOME desktop to look
>however you wish.

Came close, the fact is both Gnome and KDE as they come out of the box
are very usable especially for those who have not used either Gnome or
KDE or linux for that matter. I am not sure that there is a business
case to be made to try and please those who are experienced and really
use/configure our desktops to our particular styles of work.  We would
just like to upgrade, get all our bells whistles without spending much
time reconfiguration/hacking etc.. Now this stuff happens, fact of life,

>Even more puzzling, however, is that we continue to get flack on this
>issue when other distributions have followed our lead.  When you
>install Mandrake Linux 9.1 you'll see that both GNOME and KDE have a
>new MandrakeGalaxy theme applied to theme.  No one calls that
>"bastardized" though.  Likewise, SuSE Linux 8.2 has a default KDE
>theme that includes its own window borders with the Geeko lizard
>mascot in the corners.

Not trying to give flack, just seeing if it is worth while spending time
to make keeping up with kde that much easier.
BTW I got 3.1.2 src last night kicked it off and it failed to compile:
xslt.c: In function `exclPrefixPop':
xslt.c:119: `xmlChar' undeclared (first use in this function)
xslt.c:119: `ret' undeclared (first use in this function)
xslt.c:121: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
yada, yada yada

Have yet to go back to try and  figure this out. This is annoying, but
it has been a fact of linux experience since 1994. But if I spend the
time to get things working and other people are experiencing the same
thing, make your solution public. Just trying to take a poll and see
what is going on and maybe help. looks like there is such a group at
http://kde-redhat.sourceforge.net/ .

As RH has gotten bigger I find it not as friendly to find support as it
once was. The errata for kde upgrades stops when the new release comes
out no explaination of how to bridge that, except buy...

But I appreciate the interest and comments. It would be nice for RH to
give thier HOWto on how they build kde, even if it is to say, we did
what KDE does. But I suspect that is not true.

karl
karlthiele at nc.rr.com