[TriLUG] Who runs Red Hat Linux and KDE

H.Wade Minter minter at lunenburg.org
Sun May 25 09:25:24 EDT 2003

Sinner Wrote:

On Saturday 24 May 2003 02:0914pm, H.Wade Minter wrote:
 >> You're not promoting Linux if you use every possible opportunity to
 >> loudly proclaim the evilness of this distro or that distro, based on
 >> the fact that they don't do everything the way that you want them to
 >> do.  You're just hurting the community and the continuing inroads of
 >> Linux into the mainstream as a whole, and looking like a fool to
 >> boot.

 >Correct me if I'm wrong.
 >
 >This is zzd's first post that has "loudly proclaimed the evilness"[1]
of
 >Red Hat Linux distribution.
 >
 >Are you sure that you are not seeing a storm in a glass of water?

Since there appears to have been far more confusion on this point than
needed, I'll clarify:  The "you" referenced in my post is not any one
individual by name, but the TriLUG community as a whole.

Some pseudocode to help explain it.

IF (you engage in distro wars founded by faulty information)
THEN
{
   you're not helping the Linux community
}
ELSE
{
   This doesn't apply to you
}

It just got my goat when the same tired accusations were heaved at Red
Hat ("They hate KDE!  They're intentionally breaking KDE!  They don't
even provide new packages!"), and Matt Wilson took the time to to
calmly and, I might add, quite professionaly, provide the other side of
the story, and the only response was "Jeez, Matt.  Quit being so
defensive."

An analogy:

Joe: "Hey, don't hang out with Bob.  He beats his wife, steals candy
from babies, and cheats on his taxes."

Bob: "None of that is true.  Here's the proof."

Sam: "Wow, Bob.  Chill out.  Your attitude isn't helping.  Quit acting
all defensive."

Anyway, as it's pretty clear that I'm in the minority on the issue,
that's all I'll have to say on the matter.  I just wanted to clarify
that the reply wasn't directed to any one individual.

--Wade