[TriLUG] Who runs Red Hat Linux and KDE

karl thiele karlthiele at nc.rr.com
Sat May 24 17:48:52 EDT 2003

Matt Wilson wrote:

>On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 01:33:12PM -0400, zzd wrote:
>

>I hope that people don't find my comments in any way aggressive or
>offensive.  There were some factual errors (regarding things like
>missing packages on ftp.kde.org) and these things need to be set
>straight.

I would hope no one finds your comment offensive. I do not. missing
packages. humm. Well I did not run checksums on the 3.1.2 src at RH but
I would assume those are identical with what KDE.org has because I see
no documentation on what they are. If they are not the same thing (RH
enhanced)  then something ought to be mentioned, like the what/where/why
so people are not ignorant of what they are doing with the sources from
RH.  I think I will give those a try. RH just gets a bit terse, even
using support.

opps going off course---
 RH now tends to suggest the obvious on responces to problem reports,
and it takes a couple of emails before the real fault anaylsis is done.
This is a result of building a formal tiered support system, it wastes a
lot of time, but I imagine the volume is high now.  I am sad to say this
but RH/SUSE/other big distros are not the open source friendly companies
they once where, they have to make money on a completely different
scale. I liked it a lot better when I bought my first CD from Bob Young
across a card table at the first linux conference, I think at MCNC, some
place like that over in rtp. But it is nice to read those from RH who
follow the local lugs and respond, I appreciate that.