[TriLUG] start twm in 8 bit mode from commandline

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue Jun 3 15:30:13 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 15:20, crimsun at fungus.sh.nu wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 02:51:20PM -0400, Douglas Kojetin wrote:
> > I am working with a program that only works in 8 bit mode, and the
> > author suggests using TWM.  Is there anyway to switch back and forth
> > from a 'normal' session (under gnome or kde) to the settings above?
> > Can you briefly explain how I might do it?
>
> If you're not running a display manager, I suggest you fire up a second
> X server on :1.  startx -- -bpp 8 :1   should do it. Then you just
> invoke the app on :1.

Note that when you start a second X server, you can switch to it with
ctrl-alt-F8.  (That assumes that your normal X console runs on
Ctrl-Alt-F7, where F1 through F6 are the text consoles.)

Running a second X server with a different number of bits per pixel is
unrelated to which window manager or display environment you use.
However, the author may have suggested TWM since Gnome or KDE will
probably look ugly in 8 bit mode.  But they should run just fine.

--Jeremy

--
| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |