[TriLUG] Seeking multi-platform virus scanner (MS buys RAV)

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Jun 10 23:51:29 EDT 2003

Clam antivirus is only the Virus scanning engine. For virus signatures
they use the OpenAntiVirus project:
  http://www.openantivirus.org/

Clam also comes with an automated tool (FreshClam) for downloading the
Virus signature updates, and the docs tell you how to install it so that
it does two checks daily for updates.

FreshClam:
  The freshclam utility is the default database updater
  for Clam  Antivirus. It works in two modes - from the
  command line and as a daemon. When started by the
  superuser it drops the privileges, by default it
  works as clamav. Freshclam downloads the database
  from the Clam Antivirus homepage and checks its
  consistency using MD5 sum. You will find more
  information about the usage of this program in the
  freshclam manual.

Jon