[TriLUG] New member re-location question

Michael Thompson thompson at easternrad.com
Fri Jun 13 08:39:35 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-06-13 at 07:04, Philip Buckley wrote:

> My point is that nothing is forever. Gone are the days of 40 years at a single job followed by a retirement party and a gold watch.

...and gone are the days where most IT professionals actually have the
talent and/or experience to do their jobs properly.  I don't think this
applies as much (if at all) to Linux or Open Source geeks, but there are
less and less of the geek types who do this because they want to, and
growing number of the 'boot-camp' types who do this because a radio ad
promised that 'thousands of high paying IT jobs will go unfilled this
year..'  Now the workforce is flooded with them.  I know an MCSE that
could barely turn her computer on 30 days before, and was not much
better after boot camp.  But she had the 'paper' and was able to steal a
decent job that could have otherwise gone to someone more qualified.  Of
course, that was a few years ago and there aren't many jobs to be stolen
anymore, but you can bet the paper MCSE's are holding on to theirs for
dear life.  I attribute *some* of the blame to these certification boot
camps flooding the job market and pushing down salaries.  Of course, as
Jon pointed out, things are much easier today.

Luckily, I don't have to work with people who are only qualified on
paper anymore, its a little harder to 'fake it or get by' on a Linux
console than on a M$ server (and have everything work).  Its nice to
work with competent professionals.  (Who, BTW, are members of this list
as well!)  ;)

Of course, it could just be Greenville, or maybe I haven't had my
morning coffee yet...

--mike

BTW: Sorry for the rant, I think I went a little 'off-topic' with the
MCSE thing, but I'm sure there are plenty of companies out there who
would do better replacing 5 MCSE's with a single person (paper or no
paper) from this list.