[TriLUG] OT? - RR now blocking email from dynamic IPs...

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Mon Jun 16 19:52:04 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 18:34, Chris Bullock wrote:
> But let's say I am at work, and I subscribe to trilug and my boss *only*
> allows work related items to pass through his mail server.  If I subscribe
> to trilug and my trilug acct sends messages to my rr account how am I
> supposed to reply/send back to trilug from work.  My boss does allow me to
> do so because my cox.net acct does not allow the use of smtp unless you are
> on one of their IP addresses, unless you use the web based system.  This is
> what I have resorted to because rr is blocking my business's IP subnet.  If
> my "home" ISP allowed me to authenticate from work I would be much happier
> and it would be easy to send my cox.net mail from my mail client instead of
> using their web client, but to be reeeeeealy secure they choose to block
> smtp traffic unless it comes from their subnets.
>
> OK i'm done now

Chris,

If you have a trilug shell account, you can specify mail.trilug.org
(port 25, Always use SSL, authenticate with your username/password)
as your outgoing mail server.  That way, your mail client will connect
to the trilug mail server and the trilug mail server will relay for
you (assuming you authenticate correctly).  That way you wouldn't need
to use either your boss's server or road runner's.

But, in order to get a trilug shell account, you must be a member.

Cheers,
Tanner Lovelace
--
.sig yawns, opens one eye and looks around... what mischief should
we get into today? O:-)