[TriLUG] anyone want a freevo system?

Magnus chrish at trilug.org
Wed Jun 18 11:19:40 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, June 18, 2003, at 11:09 AM, Greg Brown wrote:

> I am interested in this as well.  My ultimate vision of a PVR also
> includes the ability to store the bulk of the data on a server which
> will house a bunch of large disks.

Yeah IMHO a PVR should have only a small disk to use as a buffer.  Or a
lot of memory instead.  PVR should be a cheap "toaster" that you can
put on every TV.  Central file server should have all video & music
files.  PVR may have a small solid state disk (64MB flash?) to boot
Linux and get the Freevo software going quickly, but everything else
should work over the network.

> The idea of some kind of flat-screen, diskless media playback machine
> is in the nirvana realm as far as my playback vision goes, but it sure
> would be sweet.

And doable, I think.

Cost of entry is high though due to high cost of components to build a
set top box that can compress video streams in realtime to NFS while at
the same time decompressing a stream to the TV.  That's a lot of CPU
horsepower.  You won't get that out of a Pentium 100 found in the trash.

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
"From the Fury of the Norsemen please Deliver us, Oh Lord"