[TriLUG] anyone want a freevo system?

John Turner jdturner at nc.rr.com
Wed Jun 18 11:48:14 EDT 2003

What I am planning is this:
- linux server in closet with 1-3 bttv tuner cards recording shows that
the family wants to watch, the server also stores mp3, DivX, mpeg2,
jpegs, etc. The idea is any media (audio, video, photos) that might be
shared would be on this server and accessible via NFS or Samba

- client machine is a Via EPIA system (mini-itx) running Freevix (port
of Freevo to EPIA). It has no hard drive or flash and maybe not even a
CD/DVD (kids seem to break them fast). It boots over the network and
runs the OS from RAM. All media files are mounted

Freevo/Freevix works fine for the clients. What I haven't found yet is
a nice server system for scheduling the recordings, but MythTV seems
like an option for this. I also want to be able to convert some of  my
DVDs for access either as MPEG2 or DivX (mainly thinking kids stuff
here). And at times I might want to moved over shows from the Tivo
(mpeg2 files).

I have tried all the media formats listed with Freevix and they work.
So the problem now is just getting a server system setup that doesn't
require full time babysitting.

John