[TriLUG] OT: home network question

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Mon Jun 23 09:52:26 EDT 2003

A few months ago I purchased Cat 5e rated 10baseT cable to run some
home network cables.  I have had nothing but problems with this cable
since I purchased it.  At first I thought it was my crimper so I
borrowed another one.  Then I thought it was my RJ-45 ends so I
purchased more of them.  Problems persisted.

I finally broke down and bought a cable tester which appears to be
telling me that I have voltage jumping wires and causing all kinds of
problems.  I thought this was nearly impossible working with only +5
and -5 volts but this is what the tester is saying.

The question is this: has anyone else purchased Home Depot Cat5e cable
and are you having problems with it as well?

Second question: where is a good local place to purchase some bulk
Cat5e cable without breaking the bank?

Greg