[TriLUG] OT: home network question

Magnus chrish at trilug.org
Mon Jun 23 09:58:50 EDT 2003

On Monday, June 23, 2003, at 09:52 AM, Greg Brown wrote:

> Second question: where is a good local place to purchase some bulk
> Cat5e cable without breaking the bank?

Construction or renovation sites in corporate office parks.

Wiring contractors will pull from several spools at once, and not
finish off the whole spool.  They very often will discard fairly
substantial amounts of cable, simply because there may not be enough
left on the spool to cover the very long runs that they are accustomed
to doing.  For shorter runs inside of the house, you can't go wrong
with these discards (I haven't anyway).  Best part is the price: gratis.

Since the economy is in the loo right now, I don't imagine it is so
easy to find these sorts of projects going on anymore.  Good thing I
stocked up a few years ago. ;-)  Whenever I would see one of these
projects going on I'd pull over and fill the truck with as many boxes
of CAT5 as I could fit (after asking first, of course).  Gave lots
away.  Even threw some out when I moved.  Even with the few spools that
I kept, there must be at least 500 meters of the stuff (not contiguous
runs, mind you, not that a 500m run is useful anyway).

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
"From the Fury of the Norsemen please Deliver us, Oh Lord"