[TriLUG] Locked CDROM

Chris Bullock cgbullock at cox.net
Mon Jun 23 20:06:56 EDT 2003

OK, I've been using Linux on the server side for a little over a year now.  I have just broke down and installed Mandrake 9.0 on my main home pc.  Its an HP XE746 with an HP CDRW. I have never mount/umounted anything and I am having a hard time getting my CDROM to work, at least with music anyway.  I put my CD in the drive and spins and nothing happens.  I use konquerer to see what is in the drive and it stated that the drive is locked and I do not have access...umm I am root running in graphical mode I think I have all the access I shuold need.  I have tried mount /mnt/cdrom nothing happens and even umount /mnt/cdrom.  This is the output of the mount command:

/dev/hda7 on / type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
none on /dev type devfs (rw)
/dev/hda6 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620)
none on /mnt/cdrom type supermount (ro,dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0)
none on /mnt/floppy type supermount (rw,sync,dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0)
/dev/hda1 on /mnt/windows type vfat (rw,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0)

I am not sure what supermount is??..
This is the output of CD ROM hardware in mandrake control center:

Bus: SCSI

Location on the bus: 0:2

capacity: burner

Channel: 00

New devfs device: scsi/host0/bus0/target2/lun0/cd

Old device file: /dev/scd0

host: 0

info: TEAC CD-W54E

lun: 00

Media class: cdrom

raw_type: CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02

If I am reading this right it says that my CDROM is scsi.Am I misreading and what am I doing wrong, and if anyone can help It would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Chris