[TriLUG] Locked CDROM

crimsun at fungus.sh.nu crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
Mon Jun 23 20:55:31 EDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 08:06:56PM -0400, Chris Bullock wrote:
> OK, I've been using Linux on the server side for a little over a year now.  I have just broke down and installed Mandrake 9.0 on my main home pc.  Its an HP XE746 with an HP CDRW. I have never mount/umounted anything and I am having a hard time getting my CDROM to work, at least with music anyway.  I put my CD in the drive and spins and nothing happens.  I use konquerer to see what is in the drive and it stated that the drive is locked and I do not have access...umm I am root running in graphical mode I think I have all the access I shuold need.  I have tried mount /mnt/cdrom nothing happens and even umount /mnt/cdrom.  This is the output of the mount command:

You don't need to mount audio CDs. KDE has an app like ``kscd'' that you
can use to play them directly.

> If I am reading this right it says that my CDROM is scsi.Am I misreading and what am I doing wrong, and if anyone can help It would be greatly appreciated.

It's actually "ide-scsi" or ATAPI, really "SCSI emulation" for ATAPI,
more than likely configured this way to make burning CDs in Linux 2.4
less of a headache.

-Dan

Daniel T. Chen          crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
GPG key:   www.sh.nu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc