[TriLUG] Novell jumps into Linux

Magnus chrish at trilug.org
Tue Jun 24 13:32:32 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, June 24, 2003, at 12:57 PM, Jim Ray wrote:

> is OpenLDAP the best replacement for active directory and user manager
> for domains?

It's not an easy question to answer.

OpenLDAP itself is a pretty robust back end.  It serves the same
purpose in Linux as Active Directory does under Windows.

The user management bit is a different story. Unfortunately there isn't
any one tool out there that does everything.  directory_administrator
is a simple tool for adding groups & users but not much of anything
else.  gq is a more effective LDAP browser but doesn't seem to be under
active development anymore.

I think what would be a good start is something like phpmysql...
phpmyldap maybe? :)

Right now I use a combination of directory_administrator and gq, as
neither does completely what I need it to do (though gq would be much
more useful if it internally handled hashing user passwords, which is
my primary reason for using directory_administrator).  Sooner or later
I'm going to have the time to write my own admin tools.

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
http://trilug.org/~chrish