[TriLUG] Novell jumps into Linux

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Jun 24 17:07:56 EDT 2003

OpenLDAP is about 2 years away from being what e-directory is now. I
have no doubts that OpenLDAP *will* catchup with e-directory, but for
now the tools used for OpenLDAP are quite crude and very limited.

E-dir integrates transparently with the file serving, the print serving,
the messaging, and of course directory rights.  This is why folks will
*pay* for it.

By the time you have setup the non-transparent OpenLDAP controls for
Samba, Cups, and Postfix - you will have put in enough consulting hours
that you could have bought e-directory.

As a consultant selling Open Source solutions to Enterprises, I need a
solution that truly competes with Active Directory and works across
platform - so that I can continue to sell those Linux and BSD servers.
E-directory is it.

Novell coming into the market is a very good thing.  They bring a lot of
Enterprise support capability.  I know some folks like to joke about
that, and some folks think that Novell is dead, but ask the millions of
huge customers that still use Novell and you will find that part of
their loyalty is due to Novell's customer and technical support.

Jon Carnes