[TriLUG] Novell jumps into Linux

Michael Thompson thompson at easternrad.com
Wed Jun 25 09:48:29 EDT 2003

Have all* the Novell naysayers on the list actually ever used/configured
a Novell server or used netadmin?  Can anyone honestly say that writing
custom scripts (which I wouldn't do for free, maybe some would) would be
easier and cheaper to a small business than just going ahead and
licensing a server and being able to get support?  Thats exactly what
they are doing now, only its Windows servers.  Whats wrong with Novell
trying to get a 'finished' Linux admin product into these areas?  I
could probably convince many of my small clients (less than 10 systems)
to convert to Linux and then bleed them dry in consulting hours as I
script their 'free' OS into something usable for the average end user,
while making myself indispensable as few (if any) Linux consultants are
working in this area (Greenville).  Many might consider this an
advantage, I just think its ripping people off.

Oh yeah, dittos on all the Novell tolerant comments so far...

Just another $.02.

--mike