[TriLUG] Novell jumps into Linux

Magnus chrish at trilug.org
Wed Jun 25 10:10:00 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, June 25, 2003, at 09:48 AM, Michael Thompson wrote:

> Have all* the Novell naysayers on the list actually ever
> used/configured
> a Novell server or used netadmin?

/me has

> Can anyone honestly say that writing
> custom scripts (which I wouldn't do for free, maybe some would) would
> be
> easier and cheaper to a small business than just going ahead and
> licensing a server and being able to get support?

Support is a funny word.  It often means different things to the giver
than the receiver.  And it certainly doesn't equate to integration
services for anyone.

> Thats exactly what
> they are doing now, only its Windows servers.  Whats wrong with Novell
> trying to get a 'finished' Linux admin product into these areas?

It's proprietary.  I've gained quite an appreciation for depending on
products that I have adequate rights to.

> could probably convince many of my small clients (less than 10 systems)
> to convert to Linux and then bleed them dry in consulting hours as I
> script their 'free' OS into something usable for the average end user,

Keep in mind that's what many small clients ask for (go cheap/free on
software, but spend lots of time configuring to suit the environment).

IMHO the disconnection between Linux users & Linux developers is part
of the problem;  there are lots of people using OpenLDAP, but none of
the implementation money is getting to the developers (at least not a
significant portion anyway) so while the back end is pretty slick, they
do no have adequate resources to develop suitable front end management
tools or slick installers.  It's entirely a volunteer effort.

Further, many consulting clients require an agreement to be signed such
that none of the work done at the client site can be shared with the
outside world.  Yes, consultants make more money spinning the clock up
to reinvent the wheel over & over but if clients would be more
realistic in their intellectual property secrecy requirements, it would
be possible for field consultants to collaborate more (if they were so
inclined) to the end of having slick deployment & management tools.

Even otherwise Linux-friendly shops can put legal burdens on
consultants to hand over ownership of all scripts & programs to $CLIENT
such that they never see the light of day in the outside world.  This
can be a real discouragement to consultants who would otherwise be
inclined to make tools available.

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
"From the Fury of the Norsemen please Deliver us, Oh Lord"