[TriLUG] Novell jumps into Linux

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Wed Jun 25 12:43:22 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 25 June 2003 11:29 am, Roy Vestal wrote:
> I know there are a lot of projects on sourceforge,
> freshmeat, and /., but for those of us that are not programmers, what can
> we do to help?

Do's :
- Use those programs and send *good*  bug reports to the development team when
you encouter a bug and you can reproduce it.
- Write one-page HOWTO's for your favourite program, a HOWTO directed to the
non-programmers
- Teach your friends about that program
- Create a nice icon for that program
- Create a help file for the program
- Send an article to Newsforge on "How my life improved  after I started using
$favourite_program"
- Talk your boss into giving money to a developer team to include that feature
that you all want
- Talk your boss into hiring an OpenSource developer to work in-house
- "Vote with your wallet" : support projects that you care for. Many have
pay-pal accounts or are developed by Linux vendors (buy their
distros/hardwre)
- Send *polite* emails to hardware/software vendors asking them for Linux
versions of their products/open hardware specs (specialy for older hardware)

Dont's':
- Do not flame Microsoft users
- Don't support SCO
- Don't buy hardware from companies that do not support Linux

My $0.02

Salut,
Sinner
--
Stallman Reads my Tutorials! http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/Steel/rms.html
Running on Mandrake Linux 9.0 - Kernel  2.4.19smp  Linux User # 89976