[TriLUG] Novell jumps into Linux

David R. Matusiak dave at matusiak.org
Wed Jun 25 15:57:15 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, June 25, 2003, at 11:38  AM, Magnus wrote:

> <snip>
>
> Eager not because it is open source, but because it is a free license
> so the solution can scale without additional licensing costs.
> Tracking your licensing obligations in a Microsoft shop can just about
> be a full time job, so legitimate businesspeople are relieved to have
> an option that removes this burden of software auditing from their
> shoulders.

* one of the nicest benefits of working with GNU/Linux and Open Source.

> I've not gotten the slightest indication in most cases that the Open
> Source aspects of Free Software are in any way a motivating factor.  I
> mean after all, what is an accountant going to do with the source code
> to the Linux kernel?  A doctor?  A real estate agency?  They could
> care less about the source.

* and the one that SCO is so interested in taking away from the
community.

(above based upon SCO employee anti-protest signs; like "I don't pay
for my music.  I didn't pay for my OS.  And I'm not ever planning to."
or something to that effect - as i am unable to locate the Provo LUG
page with those images from their protest.)