[TriLUG] [Fwd: Important Cox E-Mail Delivery Changes]

Chris Bullock cgbullock at cox.net
Fri Jun 27 16:25:33 EDT 2003

> As a pre-emtive move, I would like to send a nicely (professionaly)
> worded letter to TWC/RR pointing out the added value that many of gain
> its customers gain from running our own servers from home.  In my case,
> I save $20/mo by not having to host my web/list server elsewhere.  It
> is low-volume, so it doesn't cost RR anything...and provides considerable
> value to me.  We need to communicate this sentiment to the RR
> management in an intelligent and understandable manner.  And suggest
> alternatives...like checking machines for open relays and puhishing
> the guilty customers, rather than the well-behaved.

I wouldn't suggest telling on yourself quite yet, if you read your
acceptable use policy you will see the following.  I never signed
anything agreeing to this *but* I did agree to use the cox service so
therefore I must abide by the agreement.

In addition, subscriber agrees not to:
Pulled from the roadruner acceptable use policy:
Connect High Bandwidth server applications on their Residential or Road
Runner Business Pro Account. This includes but is not limited to the
running of servers for FTP; HTTP, IRC, DHCP, Mail and multi-user
interactive forums (i.e. game servers);

Pulled from the cox acceptable use policy:
*Servers.* You may not operate, or allow others to operate, servers of
any type or any other device, equipment, and/or software providing
server-like functionality in connection with the Service, unless
expressly authorized by Cox.

So I guess if you want "servers" guess you/I need to upgrade to the
commercial/residential or quit complaining or just go get DSL.
cgb