[TriLUG] minimal ftp host

Chris Merrill cmerrill at nc.rr.com
Fri Jun 27 16:43:50 EDT 2003

Jon Carnes wrote:
> The real key here is to limit anonymous uploads to a small partition
> (well make it large enough to suit your needs...).  The partition should
> be a stand-alone one.

I'm curious about some of the security problems with FTP.  Is 'anonymous
FTP' dangerous only when users can _upload_ files?  I'd like to enable
FTP, but only for 2 uses:
1) efficient downloading of files (linked from my website)
2) normal login - for ME to update my website
I have no need for anonymous users to _upload_ files to my server.

Do the same security concerns apply when used in this way?
IIRC, the RH9 that I just installed came with VSftp...can I enable just
this type of access with VSftp or should I consider another FTP server?

TIA,
Chris

--
Chris Merrill