[TriLUG] minimal ftp host

crimsun at fungus.sh.nu crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
Fri Jun 27 17:13:21 EDT 2003

On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 04:43:50PM -0400, Chris Merrill wrote:
> I'm curious about some of the security problems with FTP.  Is 'anonymous
> FTP' dangerous only when users can _upload_ files?  I'd like to enable

Not only, but that's one of the big gotchas.

> 1) efficient downloading of files (linked from my website)

Keeping the files accessible via http makes more sense to me. You're
already posting a web page...

> 2) normal login - for ME to update my website

I would scp the files.

> I have no need for anonymous users to _upload_ files to my server.

I would skip plain ftp then.

> Do the same security concerns apply when used in this way?
> IIRC, the RH9 that I just installed came with VSftp...can I enable just
> this type of access with VSftp or should I consider another FTP server?

You shouldn't (imo) use ftp at all. Scp offers you identical update
benefits with the additional benefit of enciphering; and your users
should find downloading files via http "natural."

Daniel T. Chen          crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
GPG key:   www.sh.nu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc