[TriLUG] [Fwd: Important Cox E-Mail Delivery Changes]

Michael Thompson thompson at easternrad.com
Fri Jun 27 16:47:17 EDT 2003

TINAF (This is NOT a flame)  :-)

Whoa!  Chris Bullock was refferring to a Cox Multimedia account, *my*
TWC/RR account is just fine the way it is, OPEN!!!  (AFAIK)  I may need
to use their outgoing mail server, but as of right now, I have
everything open coming in!  (Actually, I (or iptables to be exact) get
to control what is closed!)  I don't want to attract any attention, or
remind them to block my connection, or to jack up my fee since I'm
getting such a considerable value from my servers by complaining about
services that they did not promise me in the first place.

I seem to remember that a member of this list is a TWC/RR employee in
the 'know' and has stated that TWC (at that time) had no immediate plan
of blocking its residential accounts, as long as there were not
incidents of abuse.  This, of course, has changed with their current
smtp policy but I dont really see that as an issue, and its probably
deserved since there are probably too many open relays as it is (and we
were warned about abuse).  I still run a web server, mail server, and
ssh without any blocks.  I am not abusing my bandwidth (in my opinion)
since I am the only user who uses any of these services.  I host my
personal/family web site with an outside web host because it just seems
like too much to keep me off the radar.  Plus, its not fair to my
neighbors, who pay the same amount that I do.

Ok, now I'm rambling (and don't feel like spel chekin) so lets just call
that my $.02 and say 'later', so:

Later!

--mike