[TriLUG] [Fwd: Important Cox E-Mail Delivery Changes]

Chris Merrill cmerrill at nc.rr.com
Fri Jun 27 16:51:32 EDT 2003

Chris Bullock wrote:
> I wouldn't suggest telling on yourself quite yet, if you read your
> acceptable use policy you will see the following.  I never signed
> anything agreeing to this *but* I did agree to use the cox service so
> therefore I must abide by the agreement.

Surely, they already know who is running servers...or they could
if they wanted to.  I wouldn't be telling them anything they don't
already know.  And yes, I've read the agreement.

> Pulled from the roadruner acceptable use policy:
> Connect High Bandwidth server applications on their Residential or Road
> Runner Business Pro Account. This includes but is not limited to the
> running of servers for FTP; HTTP, IRC, DHCP, Mail and multi-user
> interactive forums (i.e. game servers);

Note: They have qualified this with "high-bandwidth".  If you're
not using a lot of bandwidth then, by their own definition, you have
not broken the agreement.  I suspect that is exactly why they worded
it that way.  They sell bandwidth...and they do it at a fixed-price.
Conserving bandwidth is all they really care about (and maybe irate
mothers complaining that their kids are getting dirty spam).

Chris

Chris Merrill
cmerrill at nc.rr.com