[TriLUG] [Fwd: Important Cox E-Mail Delivery Changes]

Steve Williams spwilliamsjr at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 27 17:36:46 EDT 2003

A small tidbit that may help:

AOL 8.0 introduced the "report spam" button right inside the email viewing
window- they are now getting over 9 million complaints per day for spam.
Upon inspection of the reports, it was determined that RR IP space was the
#1 source of the spam complaints (other cable ISP's were right up there
too).  That is when they decided to only accept email from RR managed SMTP
servers - as many on the list have recently discovered.  This has resulted
in a 99% reduction in the number of complaints about spam originating from
RR IP space.  AOL claims to block 2.3 million messages per day.

At this point RR does not have any known (to me, anyways) intentions to put
this type of outbound SMTP block as Cox is implementing.  Whether or not
that will change in the future remains to be seen.

I happen to agree with you - legitimate, RFC-abiding customers lose out -
but you were never promised or guaranteed the ability to run a MTA on the
residential RR service  (please note I say residential - commercial is a
different ballgame).  Read the user agreement, there's a lot of "we reserve
the right to" statements in there.

As a side-note, RR does have very good load-balanced SMTP outbound servers,
and have excellent service availability on them.

And another poster is correct - there are actually at least 2 TWC/RR
employees on this list (1 is even in management - you know, the people that
tie the engineers' hands behind their back)

-Steve

PS I forgot my winmail.dat attachment, is this OT?