[TriLUG] nvidia geforce4 mx 3d acceleration puking hard

Jim Ray jim at neuse.net
Sun Jun 29 12:46:32 EDT 2003

i'm running into all kinds of problems.  x won't even start at this
juncture.

during compilation of the kernel and GLX, i received Error 1 and had a
boat load of errors like the following:

nv.c:1282:warning:passing arg1 of 'remap-page-range-R492427ce' makes
pointer from integer without a cast

incompatible type

too few arguments

here's the procedure i followed:

a.log on as root
b.change runlevel to 3 by editing /etc/inittab -> id:3:initdefault
c.reboot
d.download tar balls for AMD processor and rh-9
e.unpack (x-extract, v-verbose, z-ungzip, f-file?)
	i.tar xvzf NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4180.tar.gz
	ii.tar xvzf NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4180.tar.gz
f.cd NVIDIA_k*
g.make install
h.cd NVIDIA_G*
i.make install
j.edit /etc/X11/XF86Config -> replace Driver "nv" with Driver "nvidia"
k.start X session -> startx & -> major pukage

any idea where i'm screwing up?  it looks like i downloaded some bad
code unless there's some kinda command line compilation argument that i
don't know about.

no bzflag for me anytime soon.  boo.  hiss.