[TriLUG] nvidia geforce4 mx 3d acceleration puking hard

crimsun at fungus.sh.nu crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
Sun Jun 29 13:55:05 EDT 2003

On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 12:46:32PM -0400, Jim Ray wrote:
> nv.c:1282:warning:passing arg1 of 'remap-page-range-R492427ce' makes
> pointer from integer without a cast

rmap vs. vanilla vm, more than likely. Are you using RH9? My gut feeling
tells me you may need a patch (against the Nvidia kernel driver), but I
defer to those on the list who run RH9 and have the Nvidia kernel driver
working...

> a.log on as root
> b.change runlevel to 3 by editing /etc/inittab -> id:3:initdefault
> c.reboot
> d.download tar balls for AMD processor and rh-9
> e.unpack (x-extract, v-verbose, z-ungzip, f-file?)
> 	i.tar xvzf NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4180.tar.gz
> 	ii.tar xvzf NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4180.tar.gz

This is the gotcha. You want the Linux IA32 driver, not the AMD64 --
unless you have an Opteron, one of AMD's new 64-bit CPUs (which would
make you the envy of quite a few people subscribed). The version is
1.0-4363.

> f.cd NVIDIA_k*
> g.make install
> h.cd NVIDIA_G*
> i.make install
> j.edit /etc/X11/XF86Config -> replace Driver "nv" with Driver "nvidia"

You also want to disable a few things (and make sure they remain
disabled). In the Modules section, make sure you comment out GLcore and
dri. Leave glx uncommented (or add it). You may also find it expedient
to trim the list of loaded modules. For instance, here's mine:

Load        "dbe"
Load        "extmod"
Load        "type1"      # you probably don't need this
Load        "freetype"   # or this because you probably use xfs
Load        "glx"

There are a few more caveats: don't use the rivafb driver (kernel) with
these binary-only Nvidia drivers. They _will_ cause weeping and gnashing
of teeth. Some people (including myself) have reported success using the
vesafb driver, but even then you'll need a really current 2.4[.2[12]]
kernel. Rivafb and vesafb allow you to use extended framebuffer modes on
boot, which give you a graphical Tux logo in the upper corner of your
screen, for instance. Another gimmick is the Linux Progress Bar that
displays some status bar showing "percent" completed in boot scripts.
Also, you may have to tweak your XF86Config beyond what Nvidia's readme
mentions. For instance, I choose really high resolutions that my monitor
doesn't support by default (i.e. doesn't list them as supported), so I
have to "help" it by specifying a couple options in XF86Config-4 (Red
Hat uses XF86Config) with a custom modeline. Hopefully you won't need
that, however.

> k.start X session -> startx & -> major pukage

If you could post bzip2ed /etc/X11/XF86Config and /var/log/XFree86.0.log
it would help.

*Sigh*  The things we do for bzflag.  =)

Daniel T. Chen          crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
GPG key:   www.sh.nu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc