[TriLUG] Re: traffic monitoring tools

James Manning jmm at sublogic.com
Tue Jul 8 16:37:55 EDT 2003

> Does anyone know of a way to monitor traffic on a network from behind a
> firewall or router.  Our link gets saturated at certain times and I am trying
> to determine what type of traffic it is and where it is originating from?
> There may be some obvious tools but I think I am missing it.

I absolutely love ethereal for this kind of situation.  Especially
when you can right-click one of the packets, do a "follow tcp stream",
and see exactly what's going on.  Good stuff.

	http://www.ethereal.com/

	Sniffing the glue that holds the Internet together

Comes with most distros, so apt-get or up2date or whatever.  the
text-based client is "tethereal", GUI is usually just "ethereal"

jmm at sublogic:/home/jmm> apt-cache search ethereal
ethereal - Network traffic analyzer
ethereal-common - Network traffic analyser (common files)
ethereal-dev - Network traffic analyser (development tools)
tethereal - Network traffic analyzer (console)

--
James Manning <http://www.sublogic.com/james/>
GPG Key fingerprint = B913 2FBD 14A9 CE18 B2B7  9C8E A0BF B026 EEBB F6E4