[TriLUG] (Slightly OT)New Bill in Congress would make file-swapping a felony

prhodes at vdsinc.com prhodes at vdsinc.com
Thu Jul 17 11:15:54 EDT 2003

>  So based on your rationale, it would be
> legal to "share" material, so I am going to borrow some cars from CarMax
> and leave them on the side of the road for everyone to use at.

What rationale? I didn't propose anything, other than my opinion that
this bill is ridiculous.

> hmmm,
> that sounds like the same theory of file sharing.  Maybe, I am reading
> the wrong bill, but copyright is the law and if you break that law by
> posting it on the internet for everyone to use you should be punished.

Punished, yes.  Punished by 5 years in jail, a $250,000 fine, and a
felony conviction on your record? I don't think so.  That's freaking
insane.

Anyway, there are ALREADY plenty of laws on the books, making copyright
infringement illegal.  We don't need another law which just re-hashes
the same stuff, IMHO.

TTYL,

Phil