[TriLUG] (Slightly OT)New Bill in Congress would make file-swapping a felony

David A. Cafaro dac at cafaro.net
Thu Jul 17 11:28:53 EDT 2003

OK, now while I do agree on the whole giving away copyrighted material
is illegal, sharing files you don't own the copyright is illegal, and it
is necessary to protect those who have copyright interests, there is one
small detail we are overlooking here.  In our Constitution it makes it
very clear that we as citizens are to be protected:

Amendment VIII
Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor
cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

I think the proper question is, would this law impose "excessive fines"
or "unusual punishments"?  From what I have read so far it appears part
of this law assumes that in P2P activity with a copyrighted file
involves more than ten copyright violations (no matter if it happens to
be only one file/song/etc) and hence has a retail value of $2500.  This
value then makes it a felony and brings in the 5 year/$250,000 fine.
Now obviously someone sharing several albums worth of copyrighted Music
is stealing in my opinion and I have no problem with the felony count
(they broke the law and it would seem they did it knowingly and
willingly).  But say your mom/brother/sister put up a mp3 of a song they
really like on their website cause they wanted everyone to know about
how cool this song is and they should go to the store and check out this
group/singer, or better they just wanted some background music for their
website while people browse (which that page design idea alone should be
punishable with a good flogging!).  Your mom/brother/sister can now be
eligible for 5 years and/or a nice $250,000 fine.  Breaking the law
should be punished, but we must also remember that the punishment should
be in relation to the crime committed.

Just my take on it, being an American Law Abider and believer of the
constitution. ;-)

-David

--
David A. Cafaro <dac(at)cafaro.net>