[TriLUG] Linux Certifications?

Brent Fox bfox at linuxheadquarters.com
Fri Jul 18 10:08:51 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 13:55, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 21:05, prhodes at vdsinc.com wrote:
>
> > How much credibility / recognition do the various certifications have?
> > I would think that again, RHCE would be the benchmark... true / false?
> > How do the others compare to RHCE?
> >
> > Also, FWIW, I'm thinking about the possibility (depending on the answers
> > I get to this message!) of pursuing a Linux cert.  I know I'm nowhere near
> > ready for the RHCE, so I'm thinking about maybe the Linux+ (presuming
> > it's a little easier than RHCE). If not Linux+, maybe on of the others...
> > Anyway, I was wondering if anybody else would be interested in getting
> > a study group together to work on one of the other certs.  I know that a
> > bunch
> > of Tri-LUG'ers just finished up a RHCE study group, so I'm thinking maybe
> > we have a batch of people like myself.. know some linux, but nowhere
> > near enough for RHCE, that might want to study together for one of the
> > "lesser" certs.
>
> I have a study guide for the Linux+ certification (which you're welcome
> to borrow if you want).  I was unimpressed with it -- it seemed to be
> really basic.  In many cases the practice questions seemd to be very
> ambigious or just plain wrong, too -- but that may have been my book's
> fault and not representative of the test itself.   The test is soley
> multiple choice and doesn't demonstrate any hands-on profiency.  I
> decided that it wasn't worth the $99 (or whatever) and instead chose the
> RHCT as an entry-level certification. Sure, the RHCT is more expensive
> at $349, but it shows you have the real hands-on experience.
>
> I'm not sure that the Linux+ has a lot of credibility, but I'm not
> really involved in hiring or anything where I'd know for sure.  The RHCT
> hasn't been around that long but hopefully gains some credibility as a
> lesser version of the RHCE.

Linux+ is a CompTIA certification.  CompTIA chairs the Initiative for
Software Choice, which is a lobbying group backed by Microsoft (among
others).  Some of these lobbying efforts are designed to oppose the
spread of open source software and use of the GPL in government IT
infrastructures.  http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-949527.html

It seems contradictory to offer a Linux certification while at the same
time trying to limit the adoption of open source software in
government.

Cheers,
   Brent