[TriLUG] (Slightly OT)New Bill in Congress would make file-swapping a felony

Robert Floyd r.floyd3 at verizon.net
Fri Jul 18 15:17:11 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 08:14, Lee wrote:
> Michael Thompson wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 14:43, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> >>I dearly hope that people turn away from RIAA artists and discover some
> >>of the wonderful music on the smaller labels.
> >
> > And, I believe this should be the way to fight the RIAA...  It may be more
> > difficult to endure the hardship of a "non-commercialized" music collection,
> > but nobody ever said freedom was free...

For those who are looking for an alternative, may I suggest EMusic
(www.emusic.com)? I've subscribed to their service for about three
months and am very happy with them (and haven't bought a new CD since).
They have an interesting pricing model ($10/month for all you can
download VBR MP3s, which can be burned at will, as long as you keep
copies in your immediate family). While you won't find Clear Channel
schlock there, there are some very good indie labels, an outstanding
jazz selection and a fair-to-middling classical section (emphasis on
labels distributed by Qualiton).

The other nice thing is that their entire catalog can be browsed and
sampled (30 second samples) by anyone, subscriber or not. While their
customer service isn't world class and their naming conventions could
use some work, it's an interesting and affordable way to listen to good
music.

You may want to give a listen.