[TriLUG] forum

Ken Wahl ken at kenwahl.org
Tue Jul 29 15:09:15 EDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 01:59:51PM -0400, Ryan Leathers wrote:
> I've been looking for an open source BB/Forums application.
> Several days of googling has turned up some options but not a winner.
>
> I've been hoping for something written in Java, that runs as a servlet,
> and works with either a flat file or MySQL.  Also, I need to be able to
> provide a public and a private forum (some full featured cripple-ware
> only allows 1) and assign an administrative role to a few users.  This
> is for non-commercial use so it comes out of my pocketbook.
>
> Any suggestions?

Not java but perl...YaBB seems to do pretty well.  Free and open source,
runs off a flat file.  There is also YaBBSE which is PHP/MySQL port and
from what I heard, is faster than the original YaBB (not a surprise).

Easy as pie to set up too.

YaBB (Yet Another Bulletin Board)
http://www.yabbforum.com/

YaBB SE