[TriLUG] forum

kafuin at neo-chaos.org kafuin at neo-chaos.org
Tue Jul 29 15:53:56 EDT 2003

> On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 01:59:51PM -0400, Ryan Leathers wrote:
>> I've been looking for an open source BB/Forums application.
>> Several days of googling has turned up some options but not a winner.
>>
>> I've been hoping for something written in Java, that runs as a
>> servlet, and works with either a flat file or MySQL.  Also, I need to
>> be able to provide a public and a private forum (some full featured
>> cripple-ware only allows 1) and assign an administrative role to a few
>> users.  This is for non-commercial use so it comes out of my
>> pocketbook.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
> Not java but perl...YaBB seems to do pretty well.  Free and open source,
> runs off a flat file.  There is also YaBBSE which is PHP/MySQL port and
> from what I heard, is faster than the original YaBB (not a surprise).
>
> Easy as pie to set up too.
>
> YaBB (Yet Another Bulletin Board)
> http://www.yabbforum.com/
>
> YaBB SE
> http://www.yabbse.org/
> --
> Ken Wahl  ken at kenwahl.org  http://www.kenwahl.org

interesting that this came up.  i just set up a forum on my site that uses
mysql and php. the website for the board i'm using is
http://www.invisionboard.com/

it was extremely simple to set up and easy to administer as well.  i'd
rather not spam my site but if you just want to see how the board looks
just add /forums to my domain.