[TriLUG] Server Maintenance

Hite, Danny Danny.Hite at per-se.com
Fri Aug 1 08:17:40 EDT 2003

Good news. I have finally got Linux (2 Redhat 7.3 servers) implemented in my
work environment. *dancing* w00t!!

Question: Could you guys and gals give me some recommendations on
maintenance? Here are some of the things I was thinking about.

Disaster recovery options, Backups, Security Updating, Daily log checking,
other tips, rescue disks, etc...

These are things I of course do on the M$ side, but what are some ways to
approach this in Linux?

Server 1 is used for a www.phpbb.com installation and apache of course. It
also uses sendmail to delivery email messages RE: the phpbb forum. This
server is on the DMZ/SSN of my firewall with only port 80 forwarded from
external to DMZ/SSN. SMTP is enabled outbound ONLY for sendmail.

Server 2 is on my corp intranet running as a Jabber server. There are no
external connections, besides web surfing, on this server.

The backup software I use is Veritas' NetBackup. I do know that there is a
client for *nix so I will probably look into that.

Sorry if I am asking WAY too many question in this email, but in the end I
guess that I really am asking is 'What is the best way to keep a Linux
server "purring like a kitten"?'

Danny Hite
MCP
Network Administrator