[TriLUG] Server Maintenance

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Fri Aug 1 10:02:13 EDT 2003

Look into Yum: http://www.dulug.duke.edu/yum for keeping your server up
to date with the latest patches.

Logwatch (which is part of the RH distribution) is easy to set up and
modify for daily log checking.

For rescue disks, keep Knoppix or Tom's Root boot around as well as your
7.3 installation CD.

For Backups look at amanda or just tar.  Probably the easiest thing to
do would be to set up a samba mount to your windows server which is
being backed up, and tar up everything that you want to back up onto
that.  Minimal I'd keep /etc /home and /var regularly backed up.  Maybe
/usr/local/ if you've got a lot of stuff there.

For disaster recovery, nothing beats the notes that you took when you
set up the system the first time.  You have those I presume.

Congratulations and good luck,
Joseph