[TriLUG] nohup (unattended jobs/processes)

Bradford Powell bcpowell at email.unc.edu
Tue Aug 5 09:13:49 EDT 2003

As others have mentioned, screen is definately the way to go, but since
you've already started this process and don't want to stop it in order to
run it under screen...

If the process is running under bash, you can use the 'disown'
shell-builtin (see the manpage for bash or `help disown`). I usually just
type `disown %1` after having backgrounded a job. Of course, this is
before I found out about the glories of screen.

I'm not sure what facilities other shells may have for doing something
like this. Basically you have to tell the shell to remove the process from
the list of jobs to be exited when the shell is exited.

-- Bradford Powell
-- bradford_powell at unc.edu