[TriLUG] network services timeout & boot disk bypass

Douglas Kojetin djkojeti at unity.ncsu.edu
Tue Aug 5 09:42:21 EDT 2003

howdy all-

i have an extremely old (i guess that is relative; pentium 120 packard
bell -- RIP!) computer running RH 8.0 that we setup to use as a sFTP
server. if you were following my stories from yesterday, our space is
under construction -- so they've been shut down for awhile (this
computer is different than the other one i'm having problems with).

anywho, the problem i'm having with this one is that it seems the
network services in and out (ping, ftp, ssh/scp/sftp) shut down after
about 2-5 minutes of booting. anyone have any ideas of what is going on?

on an unrelated note, this computer is unable to boot to CDROM, and i
tried to use a boot disk to upgrade to RH 9, but it bypasses the boot
disk (after thinking about reading it) and goes straight to grub -- any
ideas on that?

thanks,
doug