[TriLUG] more network service problems

Douglas Kojetin djkojeti at unity.ncsu.edu
Thu Aug 7 13:54:31 EDT 2003

ok, now here is my scenario, which is confusing to me (mostly the PING
IN, which i'm able to do no matter the 'network status'). also, i
completely uninstalled lokkit, iptables and any associated dependencies:

I CAN do the following
- ping TO the machine (all the time; no matter of the 'network' status)
- ssh/sftp into/out of it after restarting the network or rebooting for
approx. 3 minutes
- see that an IP is assigned to the machine (all the time; no matter of
the network 'status')
- see a 'green' light turned on .. on the network card (all the time;
no matter of the network 'status')

I CANNOT do the following
- ping FROM the machine after about 3 minutes
- ssh/sftp TO or FROM the machine after about 3 minutes

BUT, i can restore network services for 3 minutes after rebooting or
running (service network restart). Does this seem like a 'software' (or
communication to hardware) issue vs. a 'faulty hardware' issue?

All of a sudden, FEDEX and CD-R/DVD-R seems like a nice replacement for
an FTP server.

Sorry to keep bugging you guys ... but any more clues?

Doug