[TriLUG] more network service problems

Owen Berry trilugbucket at berrybunch.net
Thu Aug 7 21:48:05 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 12:54, Douglas Kojetin wrote:
> ok, now here is my scenario, which is confusing to me (mostly the PING
> IN, which i'm able to do no matter the 'network status'). also, i
> completely uninstalled lokkit, iptables and any associated dependencies:
>
> I CAN do the following
> - ping TO the machine (all the time; no matter of the 'network' status)
> - ssh/sftp into/out of it after restarting the network or rebooting for
> approx. 3 minutes
> - see that an IP is assigned to the machine (all the time; no matter of
> the network 'status')
> - see a 'green' light turned on .. on the network card (all the time;
> no matter of the network 'status')
>
> I CANNOT do the following
> - ping FROM the machine after about 3 minutes
> - ssh/sftp TO or FROM the machine after about 3 minutes
>
> BUT, i can restore network services for 3 minutes after rebooting or
> running (service network restart). Does this seem like a 'software' (or
> communication to hardware) issue vs. a 'faulty hardware' issue?
>
> All of a sudden, FEDEX and CD-R/DVD-R seems like a nice replacement for
> an FTP server.
>
> Sorry to keep bugging you guys ... but any more clues?
>
> Doug

Can you check the system logs and see if anything starts up / happens in
between when your network is working and when you start having problems.
Maybe also try a process list before and after and see if anything new
is running. I'm guessing that that could help rule out any firewall or
network filtering problems.

- Owen